On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Saturday, November 01, 2008

Short Story

It's rare that I write a short story (ok, nearly never), but I promised Linnea Sinclair to do one for an anthology for Romantic Times convention. I cleared it with my Berkley editor, and have had an idea in mind as part of the backstory of Heart Journey.

It isn't done, but I started it this am and plan to finish it this evening, after I give my last class "Survive to Write, Write to Survive, How to hang in there until you're published, practical tips."

So I'm going to be a tease. Do not read further if you don't want to be teased, because I will not be posting the full short story on my website until after Romantic Times in April.

*****FIRST PARAGRAPHS ONLY**********

Zanth's whiskers twitched. The smell was incredible. Incredible and wonderful and with the scent of great Flair magic.

He padded warily through the night and the bushes that rose high above his head. He'd never been out of the city of Druida before. Here on his FamMan's southern, overgrown estate there were creatures that might try and make a mouthful of him. But he was a canny and clever cat, the pre-eminent cat of Druida, and therefore, of course, the whole world of Celta.

The bushes loomed and rustled with animals and midnight noises. He placed each paw carefully, flexed his claws. There was treasure up ahead and he meant to have it.

**********END***************

May you enjoy something new today.
Robin

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking forward to the rest! Love that cat.
Hope you are having a wonderful time and have lots of comments for your readers.
I must say I am following with interest the detective work on the peach house... I really admire the research done! Thanks.

6:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's it?!? That wasn't a taste it was a sniff (pouting). Okay what anthology will this be in and when can we expect it? I do love Zanth though, he was one of the main reasons that I bought Heart Mate to begin with.

4:11 PM  
Blogger Janice Seagraves said...

Cute, a cat's view point. They do have there own personalities don't they?

Janice~

9:04 PM  
Blogger Suzane in VT said...

Oh now here's an idea - maybe Zanth's going to find HIS Heartmate. Would love to see how THAT would cramp his style. ;)

11:27 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Thanks, all. This will be a freebie anthology with Linnea Sinclair to be given away at Romantic Times. Also to be posted on my Website, perhaps in May.

It's a little story, perhaps 5 pages long, and has some backstory for Heart Journey.

Since most folks like Zanth, I went with him...and it is definitely his point of view...NOT meeting a HeartMate, the mind boggles...

Robin

8:25 PM  
Blogger Jenny Schwartzberg said...

Okay, since I have never been to the RT convention, how do I get ahold of this anthology??

11:33 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Jenny, I will be posting my portion of it on my website in May or June, I think. Don't know whether it will actually work or will become a reality. Linnea is spearheading this.

Robin

4:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]