On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Every Book Is Different

We were talking about this on the SF/F-Romance online workshop. I think I've mentioned it before, but it's something that bears repeating.

Every book comes together differently. I believe that's the true for those who write sequentially and plot, too. You have trouble in different spots, or the set up is easier or more difficult, or you end up adding or cutting.

I think that my first few books I wrote the beginning, sometimes the ending and hopped around, then went straight through, hooking up at the end. Protector of the Flight, I actually brought the book together in the late middle, which was odd for me, and in Heart Dance and Keepers of the Flame I wrote huge chunks of the end that I put together in chapters, then worked up to them. Keepers of the Flame also had a subplot that I worked on independently, then dropped in as needed (you'll see what I mean if you read it). I actually moved that plot around a little at the advice of my mentor.

Give yourself permission to create in new and different ways today.
Robin

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What do you mean "if I read it"? Of course I will be reading it. I cannot wait until it is finished and out in the stores.

Tine

11:45 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

LOL, I don't want to presume that everyone who reads my blog also reads my work.

Robin

8:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What do you mean? Of course we do!!! (read your blog and your books!) Or at least I do. LOL I'm one of your quietest readers...but I'm here...and learn so much from your sharings! I write too (though not published...yet) and am absorbing all I can about writing and the publishing world.

You're wonderful, Robin!

Donna

7:22 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Thank you Tine and Donna!

Robin

12:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]