On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Taxa or Idy? Names

I was going through my original writings of Heart Fate and found the old name of my female antagonist. Taxa, no doubt derived from some species or sub-species of Yew, her Family.

But I hadn't saved it to my notes and when I had to name her again, it became Idy. Still not a pleasant name to the ear, but not as ominous as Taxa.

Revised paragraph: I thought I'd used Idy in Heart Dance, and once it's in print, it's set. Now I'm torn, I've been thinking of the middle-aged harsh and arrogant woman as Idy, but I believe Taxa would be better.

Your thoughts?

Make sure you add such things to your overall notes page.

May you find all you need for your creativity today.
Robin

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to say: both horrible names, especially Taxa!

8:36 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

SUPPOSED to be horrible, thank you. One for Taxa...

Robin

8:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Idy sounds nicer whereas Taxa sounds distasteful.

Jennifer

9:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree that Taxa is the more repulsive....Taxa is a taxing person. Pfft!! Idy could be pronounced as small i, like Idy-bitty, could be cute.(not what you are looking for!) Catheryne

12:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just reread pages in Heart Dance that had T'Yew and his heir and her name was not mentioned. Catheryne

12:26 AM  
Blogger talia pente said...

Oh lordy! Taxa = cross between taxes and toxic.

That takes the EEEEW prize

talia

7:45 PM  
Blogger Serena said...

Idy makes me think of a fussy, older woman, irritating, but not menacing. Taxa, well, she sounds like someone I'd lock my door on, and claim plague or death, anything to get out of a visit!

8:10 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Thanks a lot! I think Taxa definitely "wins."

Robin

12:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]