On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Thoughts After Finishing a Book

It's 3am here and I can't sleep. Mostly it's because of the heat. It's tolerable with very loud fans going -- just hooked one up in my bedroom and am not used to it yet. May return and turn it off after this.

Ah, thoughts. I made my deadline for the first time in a couple of years, since the Sorceress of Faith proposal was shot down and all my dominoes tumbled. I made it because I'm no longer working full time.

Writing a book has NOT gotten easier. There is always at least one point in the book where I don't think I can finish it. That came about three days ago. That's when I call my mentor and say "You have to tell me I can do this."

I'll have to cut about 100 pages. Now THAT'S depressing, because it takes rereading when I'm too close to the book, I can do some things -- my editor thinks Chapter 2 is too long, so much of that will go. I have a couple of duplicate scenes so it will probably be "chose one." Then there's all the widows and orphans. The one word on one line paragraphs and one line on one page (I've talked about that before).

Most of the time when I put the rough draft together in a master document and mess around with chapter hooks I literally duplicate scenes -- so that may be there, pray heaven that I didn't cut anything (that happened in Heart Duel).

And Linnea is a little nervous about the world building seminar we are doing a week from Friday, and my seminar giving is low tech, so I will have to print stuff on labels and put them on my 3 x 5 cards (which are getting flimsier), or write on such cards. *I* am hoping that people will come with world building questions/problems and we do a round circle brainstorming thing, but Linnea is worried that they will sit like lumps on a log -- so anticipate seeing that pimped here next week.

I WILL be doing my daily blog from RWA. Actualy, I may be hiding in my room for RWA except for the seminars and editor and author get togethers....but then, it's 3 am and I'm tired here.

My eyes hurt from computer strain. So I'll, ha ha, research that on the web (I'm thinking compresses).

Happy Independence Day. I'm going to my brother's. He's putting in a new stand-up backyard pool. I'm taking another copy of my beloved very old VHS for him to copy on DVD (will have to call and let him know this and make sure that's ok).

Yes, Happy Independence Day, and may you enjoy everything about the day.
Robin

3 Comments:

Blogger Michele said...

Ouch!
I just popped in to wish you a Happy 4th of July and I see the exciting news that you have a new book out!!
I'll get it this week if B& N has it. Woot!

I've been a bad blogger lately ... not visiting my favorite people (like you) as often as I want to ... and I miss great posts because of it.
*pouts*

I hope you are recovering with the help of whatever "compress" advice you found. *grin*

Might I ask a possibly invasive question?

When naughty readers like me miss a stretch of time and miss your valuable writing lessons that you refer to in later posts, could you maybe, please, with chocolate covered strawberries on top, attach a link to the backpost?


That would be awesome!
Well, **sheepish grin** I think it is.

Anyway, I hope all your fireworks of the day are the colorful sparkly loud ones.
Hugs,
M

7:54 AM  
Blogger Jeri said...

Congrats on meeting the deadline! Hope you had a nice Fourth. Looking forward to seeing you in Dallas.

6:37 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Ah, Michele. Interesting idea about previous posts. I'll think about it.

Robin

6:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]