On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Friday, July 06, 2007

Beginning Writers

Last night I went to the general critique group. This particular group is the main one for new writers, and a new person read. A beginning writer. I rarely see beginning writing anymore unless I'm judging a contest, and not in person. I've been going to this group off and on for a few months, otherwise I stick to my closed groups.

Even in my closed group the newest writer has just moved away to Montana and I'm sorry to see her go.

But there was a time when I hated to see beginning work. It got so disenheartening. Time and again the group would work hard to teach someone, bring them along, only to see them eventually quit. It got very tiring, which is why the group closed.

And usually beginning writers are so new they can't speak of craft the way I need at this point in my career, and may not read in my genre or know the techniques of story to comment on something in a knowledgeable manner.

But I don't think I'll mind bringing a new one along. I think I've mastered the art of not investing so much into someone else's work that *I* feel hurt or betrayed or tired when the new person drops by the wayside.

So maybe I've grown. I hope so.
May you enjoy your day today.
Robin

2 Comments:

Blogger Diane P said...

Just finished reading HEART DANCE!Loved it loved it Loved it!!!
The characters of Dufleur & Saille were wonderful. In fact I enjoyed this book more than HEART QUEST because of the characters. It was so fun to see some of the former main characters in this book. Thank you for giving me some pleasurable hours of reading.:)

5:21 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Thanks, Diane.

Glad you enjoyed it. You relieve my mind.

Yes, other characters take turns showing up and this time it was Ruis and Ailim and T'Ash and Danith...

Robin

6:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]