On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Thursday, December 21, 2006

Snowed In -- Isolation Stories/Characters

No one in Denver is going anywhere. I have about 8-12 inches (eyeballing) of snow in my back yard and since my garage door has been broken for about 2 years (I've given up on my brothers' promise to come and fix it), my car will have to be dug out. But it will start. It's a Saab. I feel sorry for the birds and feral animals I feed, the dishes, probably with some food in them, are buried. I think one is by the door which has a drift against it.

Anyway, isolating your characters can be an excellent study. I know romance writers like this for forcing two opposing types to work together, my first introduction to Linda Howard was when old lovers got caught in a building and the electricity went out for a day. I've read lovers caught in ski cabins, on an island, isolated by a hurricane.

Then, of course there's mysteries -- Ten Little Indians/Moustrap springs to mind. I'm sure psychological thrillers use this too, though since I read only a few of them, I haven't run across one lately.

Character under pressure is fascinating for me and for many readers. So consider stories with isolation.

And don't worry about me, I have about 8 eggs, 5 pounds of cheese, orange juice, milk, a stack of frozen hamburgers, 3/4 loaf of bread, and a turkey. That's the fridge. The cupboards are a little fuller. My mentor says if she has a lot of rice on hand she always feels safe. I am out of sugar so my tea drinking will go down, but I found a jar of crystallized honey which I might try to use instead.

I'm listening to holiday music (including new age solstice music HAPPY SOLSTICE), and going down my computer music alphabetically this month Kitaro, Leonard Cohen, Llewellyn, music from Lord of the Rings, Loreena McKennitt and Magic Sound Fabric today.

Still gray but the wind has gone and I don't see that it's snowing from my office window. Guess we'll start digging out this afternoon.

Happy Solstice! And may your characters feel isolated or insecure today.
Robin

2 Comments:

Blogger moonhart said...

Happy Solstice! I did think about you when I saw the forecast for Denver. Good to know that you're safe and have provisions.

As for isolation, in my WIP my hero and heroine get stuck together during a Nor'easter. Yep, a blizzard.

moon

6:31 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Thanks, Moon, and good re: the Nor'easter.

7:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]