On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Friday, December 22, 2006

Maundering All Over The Place -- Internals

This book is full of internals -- where the character thinks about what they are doing, why they are doing it and angsts over decisions -- many of which I'll leave to my critique buddies to say "Cut, I GET IT already." Internals work best in a line or two mixed with action or dialogue.

These are several paragraphs, perhaps pages. So that's probably too much. I think the reason for these long internals is that I'm still learning about the characters so I need to lay everything out to the nth degree, then I hope to cut. That might be the reason for many long internals in books.

Reiterated internals can be because the writer has written in spurts and doesn't see the whole, or doesn't recognize the repeated internals because her/his eye skims over them. Another reason for first readers.

So may your internals be just enough and not too much today.
Robin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]