On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Monday, November 21, 2011

Ebook Stories -- Why NY didn't buy

I've been reading a lot of ebooks, both put out by small press and the author. Many of these were originally submitted to NY publishers. And I can pretty much tell you why they didn't fit those publishers. I'm not saying anything about the quality of the books or the writing, at least one has been an award-winner, and I have them on my virtual shelf. But I CAN figure out why an editor might not have wanted to take a chance on these particular books.

1) Romance -- hero is a mortician.

2) Contemporary paranormal -- the story starts with one character, switches to her best friend and that romance, and finally ends with the first character, but no romance for her.

3) Western romance -- children's pet dog is killed in chapter 1.

4) Fantasy romance -- this book (one I'm reading now), is a story every girl who read fantasy would have thought of and the first twenty or so would have been published.

This is a time of great flux in the storytelling/publishing world, and great opportunity.

May you enjoy all the worlds you visit today.
Robin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]