On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Scenes vs. Wordcount

Photobucket
When it comes down to the last part of the book, my list of scenes, then my days are not ruled by wordcount. It's a matter of scenes. I plan on which I will work on today and sometimes make it (and wordcount) and sometimes don't.

This is particularly true when I know the book is long. The more words I do is not necessarily better than getting the book done. It's a good gauge for what I've done and may boost my ego if I add it to a yearly wordcount, but that's about it.

So I do keep track of wordcount, but I don't obsess over it (I obsess over the list).

And I suppose that's what people do who plot or outline rather than writing by the seat of their pants (pantzer) or out of sequence. Ah, here's what needs to happen next, I can do that!

It's an interesting feeling, but I still like the surprises of what comes when you aren't entirely sure of what WILL happen next.

However you work is right for you.

Enjoy your work today.
Robin

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]